There’s nothing more precious than bringing a life into this world. You will never want to let go once you hold him in your arms. You will have to let go someday, but until then, show him just how much he means to you by owning a nursery glider.
The best time to start is now. Strengthen your bond while you nurse him, sing to him, or simply hold him close to your heart. Do these as you rock on a chair that suits you. A comfortable nursery glider is a must.
Rock or Glide?
It’s no secret that rocking movements help calm and soothe babies so you need that as well to best care for him. Therefore, find the right nursery glider that will make it possible.
The more traditional rocking chair is fine, as long as you are sure that the rocking movement is even, the base is strong, and no squeaking sound. A glider does have its advantages as it moves back and forth more evenly and has a firmer base to carry mother and child.
There are other features that a glider can offer so you need to find the best nursery glider for you. Do not just have your husband or someone else get one. Moreover, do not simply buy off a catalog online unless you already know and trust the brand.
Decide what is best for you by trying out nursery gliders yourself. This way, you can best compare different models.
What to Look for When Shopping for a Nursery Glider
1. Is it Greenguard Gold certified? If it is, it’s safe to use. A certified chair has been tested for more than 10,000 chemicals and passed. It’s good for Baby who could be sensitive to certain chemicals.
2. Does it feel comfortable for your head, neck, and back? People, in general, need such support. A mother needs it much more because you’ll need to constantly hold your baby, mostly for hours.
3. Is there adequate padding for the seat and armrests? You need enough, if not thicker, cushions to get the aforementioned comfort you will need.
4. Does it squeak? It has to rock and glide smoothly. Stay away from squeaky gliders. You don’t want Baby to keep waking up to the sound. Besides, it’s annoying.
5. Does it recline? The added support is a must for you to get better-rested. As Baby sleeps in his crib, you can also sleep (or take naps, at least!) in your cozy chair especially between feedings. If it can recline to an almost-fully flat position, the better. Make sure that it is easy to close and sit back up, too.
6. Is it right for your size? No amount of padding, reclining, or other features will do if a glider is too small/large or too tall/short for you to feel comfortable sitting on it. Consider, too, when the baby becomes an active toddler. There has to be enough seating room for both of you.
7. How large is it? It’s important that it is big enough to support you well, but not too big that it leaves little space to move around the nursery or for other necessary furniture.
8. Can it spin around? A 360-degree swivel is a great feature. It allows for easier access to things, a way to check on your other kids, or a change of “scenery” when you get bored facing one part of the room.
9. Is it easy to clean? Let’s face it, taking care of Baby can be messy and more stressful especially during his toddler stage. There should be soft and durable upholstery to spot-clean easily. Go for detachable, washable, preferably stain-resistant fabrics or cushions.
10. Does it come with side pockets and an ottoman? Side pockets conveniently allow easier reach and access to baby care stuff. Meanwhile, the ottoman is for you to rest your tired legs and feet on. Check if it has secret storage to accommodate more things you or your baby will need. Make sure pockets and storage can be closed to keep away curious toddler hands.
Shopping for the best nursery glider is not easy. Remember, when you take care of the baby, it’s important to take care of yourself, too, to give him the best love you can give.