There are various types of chairs. Recliners are, perhaps, the most preferred because of comfort and convenience.
There are different sub-types of recliners and one of them is the electric lift recliner. The chair is designed to lift a person sitting on it. The motor of the chair is responsible for lifting the person in different positions allowing them to get in and out of the chair easily. This makes recliner lift chairs the perfect choice for the elderly.
Generally, the most common users of lift chairs are people who suffer from arthritis, aging, and limited mobility or balance issues. This includes elderly, pregnant/nursing women, and those who have either a temporary or a permanent disability that affects movements. Lift recliner chair is very useful for those who have had recent surgery.
Lift Chair vs Regular Recliner
A lift chair may look like a regular recliner, but it isn’t. It is often called “power lift recliner chair”, “pop-up chair”, “3-position recliner”, or “infinite position recliner”. It is a reclining medical equipment on which one can sit or even lie on comfortably without the difficulty of getting up.
Like other recliner chairs, an electric lift chair varies in sizes. It also has various types of upholstery such as cloth, vinyl, or leather. What sets them apart from the regular recliner are the features below:
Features of an electric recliner lift chair:
- You can change the position of the chair just by using the remote control.
- There are several positions available with different angles and elevations, including the comfortable flat position or infinite position. It is perfect for different purposes like taking a snooze, watching TV, or reading a book. The positions include the following:
- 2- position chair – It is a standard recline, reclining rearward to extend to the stretched out position.
- 3-position chair – It can recline rearward and further back, but can be stopped at any position. Meanwhile, the ottoman rises.
- Infinite position chair – The reclined position is parallel to the floor while the ottoman rises to above the heart (“zero gravity position”).
- The lifting system can easily tilt the base and back of the chair forward when returning to a standing position.
- Recliner lift chairs has a heat and massage features that has therapeutic benefits for those with stiff and sore joints, back pain, arthritis, and other conditions.
- The chair has a cup-holder feature.
- The chaise-lounge or chaise recliner’s seat pad extends to the bottom of the chair and footrest.
- Some power lift chairs are small in size, they are ideal for someone with a limited space at home.
How to Choose the Right Lift Chair
There are things to consider when choosing the right lift chair. First, is to prepare a set of questions before checking out lift recliners on sale. For instance:
How frequently would the user eat or drink in the chair? This should help determine what kind of upholstery to go for. It should be something that does not absorb stains easily and can be cleaned easily.
What is the purpose of the chair? It is important to consider the user because that will determine the possible length of time he or she will be spending on the chair. A 2-position lift chair would be alright if use would be limited. If it is for a longer period especially for those with mobility issues, the 3-position or infinite position lift chair would be the ideal choice.
Who will use the lift chair? Since lift chairs vary in sizes, it is important to know who will use it. The user should be able to sit safely and comfortably in it.
Is the use going to be temporary or permanent? There are several companies that offer lift recliners rentals. If the intended use is only temporary, like recovering from a surgery, then renting out is probably the best option.
However, it is always a good idea to seek the help of a professional when choosing the right lift chair for you or your loved ones.